Troy Dumais leads by 25 points after the preliminaries in the men’s springboard competition at the Olympic Trials in Indianapolis. Dumais, who came into the competition with a 30-point lead based on his fourth place finish at the 2008 FINA World Cup, saw that lead cut by 5 points by second place finisher Chris Colwill.
“I’d rather not have it,” said Dumais referring to the bonus. “I’d rather be even or in the hole. I want to go dive for dive.”
Dumais had a solid diving list with the exception of his reverse 3 ½ somersaults in tuck that he left short of vertical. “I missed my 307C (reverse 3 ½ tuck) and I am a little disturbed by that,” said Dumais. “But I have two more lists.”
Colwill had the highest score for six dives in the contest posting a total of 477.50, and overall he was pleased by his performance.
“I missed a few dives out of nervousness, but I reached my goal of 470 or 480,” said Colwill. “It was good to start our really strong. Usually I don’t.”
After a slow start Justin Wilcock finished strong, climbing to third place 28 points behind Colwill, and ahead of Colwill’s synchronized diving partner, Jevon Tarantino.
The men’s semifinals will take place at 7:00 pm tonight, Friday June 20.
- Troy Dumais (Ventura, Calif.) – 502.75
- Chris Colwill (Brandon, Fla.) – 477.50
- Justin Wilcock (Smithfield, Utah) – 449.15
- Jevon Tarantino (Boca Raton, Fla.) – 426.50
- Aaron Fleshner (Spring, Texas) – 423.55
- Mark Ruiz (Orlando, Fla.) – 420.80
- Burkley Showe (Columbs, Ohio) – 409.40
- Jonathan Wilcox (Bellevue, Wash.) – 396.85
- Kellen Harkness (Puyallup, Wash.) – 391.20
- Harrison Jones (Spring, Texas) – 387.15
- Kristian Ipsen (Clayton, Calif.) – 361.45
- Terry Horner (Orlando, Fla.) – 347.25
Men's Three-meter Springboard Preliminaries