Dr. Ron O’Brien has been an instrumental force in the sport of diving for over 40 years as both a coach and diver. He has shaped the direction of diving in the United States over that period, most recently as the National Technical Director for USA Diving, a position he has held since 1991.
He has coached multiple national champions and as a member of the United States Olympic Diving Team coaching staff in 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, and 1996, divers under his leadership have won 11 Olympic medals. O’Brien produced an unparalleled record of coaching a national champion for 23 straight years from 1973 to 1995.
He has mentored many of the world’s greatest divers including four-time Olympic gold medalist Greg Louganis, and he continues to excel in that role as a member of the USA Diving staff.
O'Brien has produced a best selling book on springboard and platform diving, “Diving For Gold,” and a video titled “Diving My Way.” In addition to his duties with USA Diving he owns and operates O’Brien Diving Enterprises
- United States Olympic Team Coach (1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1996)
- World Championship Team Coach (1975, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1991, 1994)
- Pan American Team Coach (1967, 1975, 1983, 1987, 1991)
- NCAA One-Meter Champion (1959)
- United States National Three-Meter Champion (1961)
- NCAA All-American (1957, 1958, 1959)